Skip to main content

Vegeleanor- Q&A

Vegeleanor- I Love Sausage Rolls

 Welcome back to Vegeleanor! Hope you have all had a lovely week! Mine has been filled with avoiding uni work at all costs, running my Morrisons empire, and eating vegan sausage rolls. I have only rated 4 because I'm not made of money and I had other food to use up in the fridge- we love a sustainable queen! For this experiment, I will be judging the sausage rolls in 5 different areas- filling, pastry, colour, overall taste, and price. Let's get started!


Caffé Nero  

I am incredibly lucky because my bf works at Caffé Nero and I get loads of things brought home to me for free (unless this is his boss reading this, in that case for legal reasons this is a joke). I put in a request for a vegan sausage roll to help me with my experiment. Caffé Nero's sausage roll isn't even a pretend sausage- it's made of roasted butternut squash, sweet potato, and courgette. Perfect for autumn. I can imagine myself eating this on a bench in Stars Hollow. 

Filling- I liked the filling, it was different but very tasty. I will rate it 7/10. 

Pastry- Stunning. Firm but flaky. 10/10.

Colour- Beautiful golden after being put in the oven for 10 mins. 10/10.

Overall taste- 9/10

Price- ;)


Greggs 

Greggs really have been pulling out all the stops recently! When it came out, their vegan sausage roll had everybody talking, then they released their vegan steak bake (!!!), and more recently, the vegan glazed donut. They are truly putting the work in and I am here for it. Obviously you know that I had to get the sausage roll, but I also picked up a donut because I really deserved it that day. 

Filling- Truly incredible. The first time I had this I was convinced that this was actually meat. Incredible. Has to be a ten (unless it actually was meat and in that case I will be speaking to the manager). 

Pastry- Not quite as firm as Caffé Nero but still very nice. 7/10.

Colour- Not quite as golden as Caffé Nero, a lot paler in comparison. 5/10. 

Price- £1. Bargain. Although once, in Stirling, the girl working gave me two for free! Even better bargain. 


Aldi

As we established in my last blog post, I am a big Aldi fan. Aldi can do little wrong in my eyes. They recently released their own sausage rolls that can be found in the freezer section. 

Filling- It tastes pretty realistic, but I'm not totally sold on it, 7/10. 

Pastry- So firm and flaky. Absolutely lovely. 10/10. 

Colour- This cannot be fairly judged. These sausage rolls are not ready to eat so you have to heat them up yourself. As I have previously mentioned my oven is 26 years old, and can only be turned on by twisting two buttons and turning another dial. This is not Aldi's fault. 

Overall taste- A respectable 8/10. 

Price- I actually can't remember and I can't find it online. But they were so cheap and you get 4 in a packet. 


Linda McCartney

I remember when I first became a vegetarian Linda McCartney was one of the only brands available. Ahead of the game. I used to love the sausage rolls but I hadn't had one in years. This was the perfect opportunity for me to revisit them. 

Filling- Hm. 6/10. There are so many better alternatives now. Sorry Linda. 

Pastry- Stunning. 10/10

Colour- Same situation. Cannot judge due to my horrific oven. 

Overall taste- 7/10. Very nice. 

Price- £2.20. Not as cheap as Aldi obviously but still, reasonably priced I reckon. 


I hope that you enjoyed this post. Not that my opinion really matters much as you are probably a Facebook friend of mine that I met once 2 years ago and you are clicking this link out of sympathy and nothing else. But thanks for reading this all the same. In my next post, I will be rating different supermarket meal deals- that will give you something to look forward to. 


See ya! 


Vegeleanor xxx 

Comments

  1. Haha, was laughing all the way through. Such a great wee blog! ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant analysis of the sausage rolls - solid 10/10

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVEEE the Aldi sausage rolls, so banging

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vegeleanor- tour de supermarket

Hello and welcome back to my blog. Going out to eat is so last week- this week Vegeleanor is going to be staying home, saving lives, and cooking for herself (even if her 26 year old oven is holding her back from reaching her Bree Van de Kamp potential)! Throughout this blog post I am going to be discussing and rating the different free from, vegan friendly products that my local supermarkets have to offer- how exciting!  Morrisons  For those of you who don't already know, I am the CEO of Morrisons. You don't need to google it, just trust me. Such a title means that I receive a 15% discount in store, so this is where my experiment began.  Let's start with the hits. Firstly- the milk alternatives! I remember a couple of years ago you could only buy almond or coconut milk, but nowadays there is so much to chose from. I don't know what hemp milk is and I am not the biggest fan of cashew, so I opted for Morrisons' own brand oat milk. I must admit, it is a bit too sweet f...